Fort Halifax Park consists of 174 acres of public land located in upper Dauphin County along the Susquehanna River and extending east beyond Armstrong Creek. The park includes river banks, open fields, wet meadows, a high quality creek corridor surrounded by steep woodland. The property is governed by a conservation easement that allows for the re-development of Fort Halifax, historic and conservation interpretation, and passive recreation. The park contains and is adjacent to many historical features including Native American fishing/trapping/trading sites, 1756 Fort Halifax, Wiconisco Canal, a 19th Century Farmstead, and a portion of the WWI Sycamore Alee` that appears on the National Register of Historic Places.
Larson Design Group performed an inventory and analysis of the site to evaluate potential uses for the land. We facilitated an extensive public participation process that included working closely with a Study Committee to develop a recreation interest survey, conduct public meetings, identify citizen concerns and interests, perform key person interviews, and develop the park plan. Proposed improvements are shown on the Master Site Plan (above). The companion Master Plan Narrative includes recommendations for park management, proposed phasing, opinions of cost for development, and a list of potential partners for funding, development, programming, and maintenance of the park.
Fort Halifax Park serves as a recreational, historical and educational destination locally, regionally, and statewide.