Larson Design Group has been awarded a design contract with Bradford County, Pa. for a bridge bundle with an estimated construction cost of over $6 million. LDG’s design contract includes field survey, bridge design and roadway design services for seven bridges throughout the County. LDG’s subconsultant on the project is AWK Consulting Engineers, Inc. who will provide geotechnical and environmental services.
The projects are being funded through Act 13 Marcellus Funds, otherwise known as “impact fees”, which are generated by natural gas companies for each well they have drilling gas in the Marcellus Shale formation. The bundled bridge approach will benefit the public by increasing design efficiencies and reducing construction costs. LDG discussed the bundle approach to help the County decrease its number of structurally deficient bridges. Bradford County has 53 county-owned bridges. Design for this bundled bridge group began in January 2018 with construction slated between the 2019 and 2020 construction seasons.
“We are excited to be working with Bradford County to improve the transportation infrastructure in the region. These bridge projects will be good for residents, businesses and townships by improving public safety and addressing some of the structurally deficient bridges throughout the county,” said David Gunsallus II, P.E., director of bridge design for LDG. “Funding for this program came from natural gas production in the county, and those funds will now be used to help improve the communities and infrastructure needs within the county.”
The county bridges included in the contract are:
- Bridge #6: Luther’s Mill’s Road (T-557) over Sugar Creek, Burlington Township
- Bridge #11: Pratt’s Mill Road (T-310) over Towanda Creek, Canton Township
- Bridge #14: Beers Road (T-344) over North Branch Towanda Creek, Granville Township
- Bridge #18: LeRoy Crossroads Road (T-320) over North Branch Towanda Creek, LeRoy Township
- Bridge #31: Robinson Road (T-420) over Foster Branch of Sugar Run, Terry Township
- Bridge #36: Edinger Hill Road (T-874) over Fargo Creek, Tuscarora Township
- Bridge #39: Fisk Road (T-387) over Foster Branch of Sugar Run, Wilmot Township
With over 23 years of experience, Gunsallus has led bridge design projects for clients across the Commonwealth including the PennDOT Districts 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9, Pennsylvania DCNR and many municipalities such as Bradford, Columbia, Lycoming, Montour, Tioga, Union and Schuylkill Counties. His projects include the award-winning Promised Land State Park dam and bridge, numerous award winning covered bridge rehabilitations and PennDOT’s $3.9 million Brush Run Bridge.
LDG is a nationally emerging architecture, engineering and survey firm with offices in four states.